Finishes?....I have a whopping three three finishes to share today!
Remember this pile of flannel bits I shared a few weeks ago? I felt it needed to be made into a quilt. This is all of the flannel and brushed cotton I had so whatever I made, the entire project needed to come from this stack.
I first started sorting so I could see what I had. I always start with the smaller bits so I can see what cut sizes I am dealing with. I discovered a few orphan blocks in the mix so I really wanted to try and use those somehow too.
After I sorted out all the smaller pieces, I was beginning to get the feeling that these fabrics really wanted to be two quilts. One made from the darker plaids and the other from all of these soft buttery colors.
Now that I knew I would be making two small quilts, that meant I needed to piece together two backings. I pulled out some of the bigger pieces and using my design wall, came up with a plan for the darker quilt. These four strips made a nice small child sized backing.
Because I was dealing with scrappy chunks of these plaids, I decided to use the very first Scrap-A-Palooza design as inspiration for this quilt.
Once I sewed up the backing piece, I used it to plan the quilt top by pinning it to my design wall and laying the blocks right onto the backing. I find this is a quick, visual way to layout blocks and know that it will fit the backing.
To get the best yield out of my scraps, I made each row a different height so I didn't need to do a lot of cutting. This also allowed me to use those orphan blocks.
Here is the first little quilt. It measures about 38" x 42" and is super thick and snuggly.
Here is a shot of the back. All of these plaids sure make this the perfect little boy quilt.
Using the same process, I also made one in those soft yellows and gold fabrics.
Thankfully I was even able to come up with enough fabric for this backing too.
As I was cleaning up what little flannel scraps were left on my cutting table, I came across some strips of red fabrics I had mis-cut for a binding and remembered a variation of this same Scrap-A-Palooza design.
I quickly chopped them up, added a bunch of bright scraps and made this large lap quilt.
I don't often make these "free 4 all" type scrap quilts because I think they can get a bit chaotic but using those red strips throughout the quilt somehow gives it a cohesiveness. If you have scraps and need some ideas for using them, be sure and check out my Scrap-A-Palooza page.
All three of these quilts are going to be donated as part of the Hands 2 Help quilt drive over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. The first two flannel ones (if they are not too small) will be going to Happy Chemo and the larger one will be going to Covered in Love. I have a few more in the works too!
Remember to stop in here on Sundays to link up your scrappy projects with Oh Scrap! Even if you don't have a scrap project, you can check out all the wonderful projects other quilters are making with theirs!
Well, those are my finishes for this Friday so now it is your turn! Grab the button, visit some new blogs and link up those finishes!