Thursday, April 7, 2016

Welcome to TGIFF!

Yes, the Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday (TGIFF) party is here at my place today! This is my first time hosting and I am pretty excited about it.  If this is your first visit to my blog, I hope you spend some time checking out what I have been up to.

Finishes?....I have a whopping three three finishes to share today!



Remember this pile of flannel bits I shared a few weeks ago?  I felt it needed to be made into a quilt.  This is all of the flannel and brushed cotton I had so whatever I made, the entire project needed to come from this stack.




I first started sorting so I could see what I had.  I always start with the smaller bits so I can see what cut sizes I am dealing with.  I discovered a few orphan blocks in the mix so I really wanted to try and use those somehow too.


After I sorted out all the smaller pieces, I was beginning to get the feeling that these fabrics really wanted to be two quilts.  One made from the darker plaids and the other from all of these soft buttery colors.



Now that I knew I would be making two small quilts, that meant I needed to piece together two backings.  I pulled out some of the bigger pieces and using my design wall, came up with a plan for the darker quilt.  These four strips made a nice small child sized backing.





Because I was dealing with scrappy chunks of these plaids, I decided to use the very first Scrap-A-Palooza design as inspiration for this quilt.

Once I sewed up the backing piece, I used it to plan the quilt top by pinning it to my design wall and laying the blocks right onto the backing.  I find this is a quick, visual way to layout blocks and know that it will fit the backing.

To get the best yield out of my scraps, I made each row a different height so I didn't need to do a lot of cutting. This also allowed me to use those orphan blocks.








Here is the first little quilt.  It measures about 38" x 42" and is super thick and snuggly.  


 Here is a shot of the back.  All of these plaids sure make this the perfect little boy quilt.



 Using the same process, I also made one in those soft yellows and gold fabrics.



 Thankfully I was even able to come up with enough fabric for this backing too.


As I was cleaning up what little flannel scraps were left on my cutting table, I came across some strips of red fabrics I had mis-cut for a binding and remembered a variation of this same Scrap-A-Palooza design.


 I quickly chopped them up, added a bunch of bright scraps and made this large lap quilt.




I don't often make these "free 4 all" type scrap quilts because I think they can get a bit chaotic but using those red strips throughout the quilt somehow gives it a cohesiveness.  If you have scraps and need some ideas for using them, be sure and check out my Scrap-A-Palooza page.


Confessions Of A Fabric Addict
 
All three of these quilts are going to be donated as part of the Hands 2 Help quilt drive over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  The first two flannel ones (if they are not too small) will be going to Happy Chemo and the larger one will be going to Covered in Love.  I have a few more in the works too!


Quilting is more fun than Housework


Remember to stop in here on Sundays to link up your scrappy projects with Oh Scrap!  Even if you don't have a scrap project, you can check out all the wonderful projects other quilters are making with theirs!




http://tgiffriday.blogspot.com/


Well, those are my finishes for this Friday so now it is your turn!  Grab the button, visit some new blogs and link up those finishes!











Linking Up:

Crazy Mom Quilts (Finish it up Friday)



Quilting is more fun than Housework...

26 comments:

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Your small quilts look so cozy and snuggly for a small child, I am sure they will be well loved, and I really like your bright and colourful one. Sounds like they are going to get causes. Thank you for hosting Cynthia.
Smiles from
Kate

em's scrapbag said...

Love all three of your cute little quilts. How can you go wrong with a scrap quilt?

Jessica said...

The colors in the last quilt jumped out at me! They are gorgeous! Great job. :)

Kat said...

These are all awesome! Those flannel quilts are so cute and cozy looking and I love the scrappy one! Tickled that you are planning to send it to CiL :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is nice to have finishes isn't it - I have none to share this week but love yours

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow!! THREE finishes to share in ONE day?! They are all wonderful.

Izzy said...

I love flannel quilts - they are so soft and heavy and snuggly! I love your 3 scrappy quilts. Great finishes! And thank you for hosting TGIFF this week.

M-R Charbonneau said...

3 quilts?! Yay! I'm so glad you are hosting, Cynthia! Great job on pulling those scraps together into some great cohesive quilts. Well done! Thanks for hosting!

Lara B. said...

My oh my, you are so awesomely productive Cyndy! I love all of these quilts! the one with the red strips is so amazing! The red adds places for the eye to rest and pulls the whole thing together.

Mary Marcotte said...

Well, you had fun this week! Love them all but that soft yellow is yummy! You have been especially productive. Did you get any housework done at all? (Neither did I!)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have been busy! Those are great finishes - I especially love the soft yellow flannel one! All three of your quilts will be loved and appreciated, I am sure.

Chantal Thibodeau said...

I really like your red quilt.

Teagan said...

I wish you could touch things though the internet! Those flannel quilts look so soft and snuggle worthy! Beautiful scrap quilt as well, something about red, just makes quilts so exciting to me. :)

Jayne said...

The plaids are wonderful! And flannel...that will be such a snuggly cozy quilt! It has almost a vintage look to it. I love how you see a stack of scraps and go in to 'gotta make a quilt' mode! Thanks for hosting TGIFF this week!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You had me at plaid ;-) THey look great - I love how your scrappy mind works!

Vicki in MN said...

Energizer bunny you are, more great finishes and less fabric on your shelves!!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Fantastic finishes! There's definitely something so warm and comforting about flannel and especially in those colours!

cspoonquilt said...

All three are wonderfully scrappy! I love that kind of free and easy improv work! And they all look Great!

Celtic Thistle said...

Great use of those flannel scraps!

Ann D said...

When you use flannel for the top and backing to make a quilt, do you also have batting in between? Just wondering since it seems it might make the quilt too heavy.

anndunn24(at)gmail.com

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Three great finishes. You have been busy.

Mary Huey said...

Love that one with the red "mis-cuts"!! Very inspiring!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Wow, three finishes so quickly! I really love the last one, with the red added in!

Jasmine said...

Wow! You have been busy. It was a great idea to make the backings first. I also love how the red ties the other quilt together.

Heide said...

WOW....I thought I was doing well get one quilt done and before it had to be done....You got 3 snuggle scrappy quilts done! What a great idea to make the darker quilt and the soft lightener one. I just love the fabrics in the last quilt! Great job.

Sarah Craig said...

Your two flannel quilts are beautiful - so cuddly - but oh my! That scrap quilt at the end is just magnificent! Thank you for participating in H2H this year - and for all the inspiration!

01 09 10